Thursday, June 26, 2008

Swarms

 
So, as you know, last week and this week our house was being painted. Swarms of young men were constantly surrounding our place, in front of every door and window, blocking me into my garage and into my house.

Here's something maybe you don't know: Painters are not like Vampires. A Vampire won't enter your house without being invited. I came up the stairs from the basement on Tuesday, and a young man was inside my kitchen! He was painting the inside of the doorframe, and wouldn't reply to my surprised greeting.

Anyway, they got finished and moved on to paint some other places, and immediately, a swarm of BEES moved in. They are building a nest or whatever it's called inside the crack at the top of our patio wall. Yesterday, there were tons of them buzzing and milling around, right outside our back door. You just can't believe how LOUD they are. I thought it was a lawn mower, seriously.

If you click on that picture, it will get bigger and you can see one bee. I took several photos, but it's tough to catch bees in action.

After the bees went to bed last night, Jason sprayed the wall with wasp killer, and did manage to kill one bee. But, this morning it was clear that further action must be taken. We will have to spray INTO the CRACK. And then, once they're all dead, I want to fill that gap so no other tribes of bugs think it's a good spot to bivouac.

YES, I know that we shouldn't kill bees. There is a shortage of bees in our country these days. So, I'm trying a less murderous tactic today. I've hung a lovely flower basket filled with moth balls near the bee hideout. According to uncited sources on the Internet, bees don't like moth balls and will pack up their stuff and leave. After they go to sleep tonight, I will shove moth balls into the hole to try to further discourage them.

One thing I really love about working from home is being able to sit out on my patio every day, and enjoy the sun and fresh air in my little, enclosed area, without any weirdos staring at me. No one can see me, so they can't try to make me pet their dogs. (The last place we lived, there was an old guy with a coffee cup who would just stand there and stare at me while I read in the yard. There were a couple of ladies who would bring their dogs over and try to make me meet them. I'd have to tell them not to let them in my yard, and they didn't like that! Look, I petted one neighbor dog once, and it was gross, and oily feeling.) Now, it's been over a week since I've been able to sit out there, due to swarms of painters and now bees. It's making a little sad and frustrated, to tell you the truth. I really hope those bees will move on!!!

Bee lovers, you should know that the smell of moth balls is coming through our CLOSED back door and stinking up my house!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment