Friday, November 13, 2009

Utilitization and You

Doing one of my editing jobs, I heard a man say the made-up word, "utilitization." COME ON! You guys, I hate the made-up word "utilize" enough already. For fuck's sake, just say "use," as though you're not a moron.

Generally, people make up fancier-sounding words to attempt to cover up their own stupidity. I am instantly wary (not weary, although eventually that, too) of people who feel they have to show off their made-up Corporatese or other jargon (perhaps it would help if I put on my Creativity Hat and grabbed a different colored umbrella and Thought Outside the Box).

It usually gets worse once they know that I'm an editor, or that I have an English degree, or that I have a law degree, or that I read books.

Honestly, I'm just as mistrusting of "utilize"-sayers as I am of people who don't have any books in their homes. (No books in the house gives me the creeps and shivers and willies. And CHILLS.)

Why go to trouble to make things more complicated? Why must there be such needless over-utilitization of over-complicatorization?

2 comments:

  1. I think irregardless is a nonsense word. Would you say it's redundant? I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that "irregardless" is irridiculous! I also hate that "imflammable' and "inflammable" mean the same thing as "flammable." Please, just use "flammable"!

    ReplyDelete