Friday, July 17, 2009

Book 59: Chi Running

Danny Dreyer's Chi Running recommends a style of running that reduces or prevents injuries and discomfort.



I haven't been running much at all, but I have tried out some of the techniques, and they make running a lot more comfortable. Remembering to relax, and that I don't have to take a BIG step helps me a lot.

I will continue to work on landing on my midfoot instead of toes or heels, and on leaning slightly forward to allow gravity to pull me along (rather than legs having to push me or drag me along).

So far, I'm still huffing and puffing! I know if I would be consistent, I would become a good runner. I have gotten better at all kinds of activities over the last several years (some of them are MUCH harder than running). But one doesn't improve if one doesn't DO the thing. My brother-in-law has a sign in his studio that reads something like, "to be a painter, you must paint". Same thing: if I want to be a runner, I will just have to do it.

I think this book is really helpful and if you run, you should check it out from your library.

No comments:

Post a Comment