Monday, July 13, 2009

Book 58: People Who Sweat

This is the third book I've read by Robin Chotzinoff. I really enjoy her writing. It's a mix of reporter-style writing and memoir.

She focuses a lot on interviewing people in Colorado, since she lives here (or did in the '90s when she wrote this). I like reading that the drummer from Cream (Ginger Baker) lives (or lived) near me, raising polo ponies. Now I will have to look into polo matches and see if Jason and I can go to one. He is concerned about having to dress up, but I think it would be worth it for one afternoon. Polo is such a foreign sport to me, it would be really interesting to me to check it out.

This book is about people who are really dedicated to extreme sports and unusual sports: tree climbing, mall walking, caving, bow hunting, surfing, ultra-running, snowboarding, and more. Chotzinoff tries to figure out WHY people get so involved in their sports -- what drives them. The answer: it varies. :)

Very enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment