Thursday, July 2, 2009

Book 56: I Was Told There'd Be Cake



I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

This is humorous essays by a youngish woman. Okay, she's around my age, and I like to think of myself as "youngish." OR she's about 30, if you really insist that I define it.

She talks about weird stuff she collects and that she considers what her family would think if she died and they had to clean out her apartment. She was drafted into being a bridesmaid for a childhood friend she hadn't seen since high school. She had a terrible first job. She tried to figure out why her parents named her "Sloane."

Stuff like that. She doesn't ALWAYS hit the mark for me. You know who does? David Sedaris. She's no David Sedaris. But she's damn good. It's a good book. You can't just keep reading David Sedaris over and over again, so sometimes you have to let someone else make you laugh. Give her a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment