Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Better Day

Yesterday was a bad day. I guess a migraine day, though I'm not diagnosed with getting migraines (though I don't really go to doctors, so how could I be diagnosed?). I felt like I had a cold when I got up, because my ears were plugged with pressure. But, I decided to sweat it out and do a tough cardio workout before working. I got through 43 minutes of feeling cold and then feverish and a little out of it. Then I started to hallucinate a little and also see lightning flashes in my peripheral vision, so I stopped. I ate an apple and a piece of string cheese and drank a lot of water. My vision returned to almost-normal. I took a shower and stopped feeling feverish.

But then the headache set in! If I moved my head even slightly in any direction, the pain was excruciating. I checked out what was available On Demand (on comcast cable). I found "BloodCopy," which is connected to the HBO show "True Blood." "True Blood" is a vampire series based on some books by Charlaine Harris, but the show is made by Alan Ball, who made "Six Feet Under." Anyway, "BloodCopy" is a bunch of 3- and 4-minute clips from a supposed news show, documenting the events of Vampires coming out into the open and demanding equal rights in the U.S. The political ads are pretty good -- one for the vamps is "Vampires Were People, Too."

So, I like "True Blood," but I did expect it to be a bit smarter, since it's Alan Ball. It's just the usual Vampire As Other, Vampire As Different Race stuff. That's the exact same stuff that 'Dracula' was about in 1897. The new part is just Vampire As Second-Class Citizen Because We're Scared, like we were of blacks and women voting and Chinese being eligible for citizenship. I hoped for more NEW. But, it's entertaining and I'll keep watching it.

After watching TV for a while (holding my head really still and sometimes moaning in my self-pity), I took a nap for an hour. I felt better after that, but still pretty crappy.

The whole day was wasted! I couldn't work because I couldn't stand to look at my computer screen for 60-90 minutes in a row. I had planned on working A LOT, so I was pretty disappointed. Today is a new day, and I feel fine. I'm going to be PRODUCTIVE.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving True Blood, but I can't figure out why. I am not in love with the characters like I was with Six Feet Under, but they are growing on me.
    Hope you are feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michi! I'm feeling great finally.

    I was so unimpressed with the acting, the accents, and the script at first, but I just kept watching anyway. I don't know what it is that pulls me in, but I like it! I even made a friend who's from Louisiana watch the first episode so I could verify that the young black woman's (I'm totally drawing a blank on her name) accent is HORRIBLY WRONG! And, Bill's accent comes and goes. But, I'm going to keep watching. Rolling my eyes, but watching. :)

    ReplyDelete