Thursday, January 8, 2009

Terrariums



These are the living gifts that I mentioned before Christmas. I made some little terrariums in jars.
 

I put rocks in the bottom, and then some aquarium charcoal (to help keep them clean), and then soil. Then more rocks on top, to make a landscape.

Some are drier, with succulents growing in them. Some are more damp, with ferns and moss. I did not have the best luck with the ferns or the moss. I followed the directions, and kept them moist, and kept them in dim light. I think they needed a little more light, maybe? I hope the ones I gave away will thrive (who wants to give a gift that fails?).

I still have a couple at my house, too, and I'm trying to get them going better. My ferns have died, but the one I gave to Mom didn't look as bad. Maybe she'll have the ferny touch and get hers to be happy again.

 

I put some little animal figurines in them. Also, Mom's had a little white slug that came in her fern. I left it up to her to decide to keep it or take it out. It's sort of cute, like a snail in an aquarium. I know they are a garden pest because they eat plants, but I don't know if one little slug can kill a plant, or if it takes a bunch of them to be a problem.

I think a really cute terrarium would have ferns with little dinosaurs living amongst them! From what I understand, and imagine, GIANT ferns and dinosaurs lived at the same time. So, someday I may make a Triassic terrarium. If I find some dinosaur figurines, which seems totally possible. And if I can keep a fern alive. :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. my terrarium is still going! I love all the things you made for Xmas!!!

    ReplyDelete