Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Book 4: Don't I Know You?

Don't I Know You? by Karen Shepard. I loved this book. A young boy finds his murdered mother in their apartment. Who did it? There are so many possibilities, and the writing is so good. Some lines are just poetry. You want to read it really quickly, to find out what happened, but you want to read it really slowly, to enjoy Shepard's talent.



There is a great description of an immigrant couple, of their lowly jobs in New York, how the mother crawls around on the floor hemming the clothes of people who stand above her. Then the simple line, "Back home, they were both physicists." (I don't have the book anymore, since I gave it to my dad to read, but it's something close to that.) She says so much with so few words. I will read anything else by her that I can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment