Monday, June 29, 2009

Dad's Family

The other thing that happened yesterday was that my aunt Karen died. And now I am going to meet my dad's side of the family for the first time.

My dad had three sisters, who each had three kids (Nine cousins!). Now my cousins have kids, and one even has a grandchild! I've never met any of them. I did speak to one or two of the aunts on the phone about 15 or 20 years ago, but I can't even remember who I talked to!

Dad, my sister, Jason, and I are going to Texas tomorrow for the funeral.

It's such a weird, weird feeling to be in this situation. I feel sad that my aunt has died, but it's kind of abstract -- I never knew her, so I can't miss her. But I completely missed my chance to know her.

On the other hand, I'm pretty excited about meeting my extended family for the first time. Our immediate family is small. I don't have any living grandparents (and only ever met two of them). It feels like I have this Instant Extended Family.

Okay, I better start packing. And charging batteries. And printing maps. And getting snacks together. And And And...

No comments:

Post a Comment