Sunday, June 21, 2009

Book 51: Between Trapezes

Gail Blanke writes self-improvement books, and Between Trapezes: Flying Into a New Life With the Greatest of Ease focuses on "in-between times". If you've lost your job or are totally burned out on your work, Blanke encourages you to see this time as an opportunity. Here is the chance to change your life and do what you really want to do.

I'm in job limbo and some days I definitely see that I have the chance to shape the rest of my life by choosing my career path. The only problems are that the job market is not very good right now, and I have no idea what I really want to do with my life!

I keep trying to soul search and discover what it is that I really want to do, but my soul will not give up its secrets.

Anyway, about the book. Blanke gives a fair amount of practical advice: in a job interview, keep it all about THEM. Not what you will get out of the job, but what THEY will get from you. People like to be the center of attention, and they will respond better to you if focus on them.

Some other advice, which works in all aspects of life: give up dwelling on how right you are and how wrong they are. Even though it's true, you have to move forward and leave those resentments behind.

Mostly she tells success stories of clients she worked with, and anecdotes from her own life.

Between Trapezes did not solve my problem of deciding what to do with the rest of my life, but it is fun to read about how other people change their lives, and to be encouraged to take chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment