Monday, November 3, 2008

Update on the Writing Commitment

Well, I did a great job for a few days, and wrote quite a bit. Then, on Thursday, I worked from about 10AM until 4AM, and I forgot to write. And now it's Monday, and I still haven't written since Wednesday. It's only one sentence that I'm expecting of myself, so there's really no excuse.

I am interested in becoming a more committed person, like I used to be. I used to decide to do something, and then I just did it. I didn't argue with myself and make excuses for why I didn't really have to do it, or I didn't have to do it NOW. Okay, maybe I did, but it seems like it's a lot worse now. I didn't used to be aware of it, so it couldn't have been this much of a struggle.

So, I have to realize that life is going to keep getting in the way of the things I want to do, and I have to do it anyway. I have to shut down that Monkey Mind that keeps messing around and making rationalizations, and saying, "this is stupid. I'm above this." (Whatever "this" may be, Monkey Mind will think it's dumb.) (Monkey Mind is an idea that I've read about in terms of meditation. You try to meditate, but your darn Monkey Mind keeps saying, "I should do XYZ. I don't have time for this. This is so stupid. My butt hurts from all this sitting." But my Monkey Mind messes with me about all kinds of commitments.)

I really want to prove to myself that I can disciplined and decide to do something and then just freaking DO IT! But, I will cut myself this much slack, my friends:
Since this week is the busiest week of this season for my work, and I will probably have at least two days of working 12 hours or more, I will begin again with my writing commitment on Saturday the 8th. The rest of this month, my work hours will be much more reasonable and I WILL be able to spend a few minutes working on my novel.

This month is the month when bloggers are supposed to blog every day. Just so you know, I won't be doing that. I already missed two days, so it shouldn't be a surprise to you. I may post 30 entries, but they won't be One-A-Day. Okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment