Thursday, December 24, 2009

Truffles: First Attempt

One day, earlier this month, I suddenly became VERY INTERESTED in making chocolate truffles. I'm sure that reading the sequel to Chocolat played a role in this obsession. I found a few recipes, including this one for Honey Vanilla Chocolate Truffles from Martha Stewart. I rounded up all the chocolate and what-not that I needed, and set to work.

I envisioned beautiful chocolates that I could package and give as gifts, wowing people left and right!

Well, the Honey Vanilla Chocolate Truffles turned out DELICIOUS! But I thought they were too ugly to share, even when sprinkled with colored sugar. Even the one that was rolled in chopped slivered almonds. With practice, and maybe with something called Luster Dust (which I hear was invented as an edible body paint-type thing, but then got co-opted by bakers), perhaps I can make attractive truffles next year.

 

The OTHER batch I made was just regular chocolate truffles, except that I added some peanut butter to the mixture. Well, I did it WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! My ganache never hardened. It spent the night in the freezer and was still too soft to roll into balls.

But it tasted really, really good. So, I did what I had to do. I made some yellow cupcakes and used the peanut butter ganache as icing and it was so, so good!

They may look ugly, but my taste buds did not mind at all.


 

Lessons learned:

*The first time I make something, I should follow a recipe instead of winging it.

*But sometimes winging it leads to a great cupcake icing or other surprise treat.

*And if you make ugly candy and are forced to eat it instead of giving it away, YOU GET TO EAT A BUNCH OF CANDY! And cupcakes!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment