Sunday, December 20, 2009

Book 100: Girl With A Pearl Earring

This novel by Tracy Chevalier is set in Delft, The Netherlands, in the 1660s. You may have seen the movie based on this book, which stars Scarlett Johansson.

The plot is that a young woman's family hits hard times and she must go to work as a maid in Vermeer's house. She struggles with doing as Vermeer asks without offending his wife. She must avoid a handsy patron and deal with her impatient future husband. And her worst enemy may be a 7-year old girl who likes to cause trouble.

Chevalier's writing is excellent. She develops characters well and times the plot nicely. It is fun to read about Delft in the 1660s. It brings back memories of touring Amsterdam several years ago. I never saw Delft, but I think there are many similarities between the cities. I was able to go on a tour of Rembrandt's house, which is being restored with historical accuracy. He also painted portraits in the 1600s, but in Amsterdam. Chevalier's descriptions of Vermeer's house meld with my memories of Rembrandt's house to create a very full, vivid experience. I love it when it all comes together!



Four books to go! I couldn't resist starting Under the Dome, which has over 1,070 pages! The other three are already started, as well: Steinbeck's The Pearl, Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, and Notorious Victoria (author's name temporarily forgotten).

2 comments:

  1. Have you read Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister? They both take place Haarlem. I read it around the same time I read Girl with a Pearl Earring and thought it was a much more fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michele! I'll look for that one -- I've never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete