Thursday, December 10, 2009

Books 97 & 98: A Fool And His Honey & Last Scene Alive

Oh, Charlaine Harris, your Aurora Teagarden novels continue to move me closer to my reading goal!

In A Fool and His Honey, Aurora has to watch over an abandoned baby, try to figure out the parentage of the baby, travel to the North (Ohio), see how useless a father her husband would be, and solve a tacked-on second mystery. As usual, it's fun to read about the characters. The secondary mystery was quite unfulfilling and very much seemed like an afterthought.

In Last Scene Alive, Aurora is a widow. She's also dealing with the film crew that's making a movie of her own experience of almost being murdered! But guess what, the script was written by her ex-flame, Robin Crusoe, who helped her solve her very first mystery. Someone dies, and someone has a secret past, and Aurora meddles in it all while being pursued romantically by multiple men (typical set-up from Harris).

I liked when Aurora mentioned that with her glasses on, she could hear better when she talked on the phone. She also talks later about being without her glasses, saying, "I am never at my most alert when the whole world is a blur." Now, I'm not nearly as blind as she is supposed to be, but it is true that I feel pretty out of sorts without my glasses or contacts. The last time I went to the eye doctor, she did some looking in my eyes and then didn't give me my glasses back. I honestly had a little bit of trouble talking to her without my corrected vision. I felt very vulnerable and a little bit stupid. So, kudos to Charlaine for capturing such a true detail. She does that kind of thing a lot, actually.

I only have one more Harris novel to finish, and I'll be caught up! Only 5 more books needed after that to reach my goal of 104. I'm pretty sure I'll make it. I can't wait to read LONG books again next year, or maybe magazines! Or watch movies! But I will miss having the excuse: "I can't do XYZ! I've got to read for my blog!" That has been pretty nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment