Thursday, July 17, 2008

Monks and dogs

This morning I was watering my plants outside, and could hear two dogs barking ANGRILY at each other, and men's voices saying things like, "Oh, come on." They were down the row of houses, so I couldn't see anything, but I was prepared to spray some dogs in their faces with the hose, if necessary. Then, a third dog from the neighborhood, who is NEVER, EVER, EVER on a leash, (and sometimes goes into my garage and will NOT get out, and sometimes tries to go into my house but so far has not succeeded), came bounding cheerily around the corner to join the dogfight fun. Well, Mr. No-Leash obeyed his owner after only a brief delay and went home with her, and soon enough I saw the offending dogs UP CLOSE.

Here they came, both on leashes, and finally settled down, ready for their walk with their owners, who are monks. Yep, the worst barker was a tiny little dog (though not so tiny as to be guinea pig-sized, like Sparky's dog), a dog known to wear one of those cones around its neck and make me giggle at it. The other dog smelled just a little like skunk as it passed, and I heard my neighbor monk asking his friend monk if he had doused the dog with tomato juice. "No," was the reply, and I was just tempted to say, "I can tell!"

Anyway, the last person whose dog I would expect to start a ruckus is our neighborhood monk. It just goes to show, don't have expectations!

No, I don't have any pictures of the incident. But, if you want to imagine the monks, they are white men, and mine has a shaved head, and the other one has long hair and a beard, and they wear maroon robes but "American" shoes. Neither dog was wearing a cone today, or any other type of clothing or accessories, except for collars and leashes.

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment