Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Poor Garden

First all we had was a big plot of rock-covered ground. We had to shovel and throw and kick rock after rock out of the way. Then, the annoying weed cloth underneath dulled our knives and was very stubborn about wanting to stay in place.



Jason bought wood and cut it and nailed it to the ground with rebar or something, and we dug the whole thing with shovels and added 30 bags of compost and manure and garden soil. The soil still looked a lot like sand.



But I happily planted my 10 tomato plants and a dozen peppers (I want to make salsa this summer or fall!) and tomatillos, potatoes, strawberries, plus herbs, cucumbers, melons, corn, peas, lettuce, carrots, spinach, garlic, and onions.

And then the wind blew like it would never stop and my tomatoes and peppers were beaten into the ground, but they still might have made a comeback!

And then we were pelted with rain and small hail and then medium-sized hail and then rain and rain and wind and then a whole bunch more small hail. Only one tomato survives, and it looks incredibly sad, like I do. Wahh! I want a nice garden!!



Now I'll have to buy more tomato transplants and probably settle for Big Boy or Better Boy or whatever they sell everywhere. And I'll see if I have to reseed everything. Who knows where
any of the seeds ended up.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment