Friday, May 21, 2010

Book 9: A Play of Treachery

This is a mystery novel set in 1436 in France. Its star is a traveling actor who has been convinced to become a spy for England.

It's written just fine and was a great relaxation-distraction for me while we were moving. There's nothing wrong with it at all, but it just didn't grab me in the way that makes me hunt down all the books by the same author. I feel more entranced by the female doctor in Ariana Franklin's books, which take place in 12th century Europe. I guess I'm not a huge historical fiction fan, so her series pretty much fills my desire for that genre.

But if you love historical mysteries, you should check out Margaret Frazer's books. She has several that feature the actor-spy, Joliffe the Player.

No comments:

Post a Comment