Sunday, May 31, 2009

Making Dresses and Watching Movies


Is anything worse than these dark photos? It's as if I intentionally stood in the only shadow in the world.

You can still kind of make out the dress.



What would Tyra and the Jays say about this pose, if I were on America's Next Top Model? "Girl, what is wrong with your crazy feet?"


This weekend I had a Wes Anderson movie fest (The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited, and The Life Aquatic) and I made this dress. It's been several years since I've sewn with a pattern, and it took me forever.





One thing that really would have saved time is carefully reading the directions BEFORE doing each step. I only skimmed them, and twice it really sucked that I had to undo something and then do it again properly.

Also, I struggled with getting the shoulder straps to lie down nicely. I had to shorten them by about 2.5 inches!

Now that I've gotten some refreshers, I'm working on a second dress (with a different pattern) and so far I'm successfully reading all the instructions AND copying the markings from the pattern onto the fabric like I'm supposed to. Perhaps I will be able to finish my marathon and watch Bottle Rocket and Rushmore while I finish it.

If that goes well, I want to make a dress that looks like this one, but with different fabric, by altering the pattern from the first dress. It will just need a different treatment at the neckline, and I believe I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment