Friday, November 26, 2010

Still Pregnant! Plus some books

Well, y'all, I'm 38 weeks along now and my little girl can't come soon enough! Oh, we're crowded! My poor leg is so pained from muscles and ligaments loosening up and moving into the wrong places and putting weird pressure on something where my inner thigh muscle and hamstring meet my groin. Sometimes it makes me cry to walk around the house. Sometimes my leg won't respond when I try to make it walk around. Sometimes it just hurts but still works. I can't wait for that to stop! It should stop pretty quickly after the baby is born and my body stops flooding itself with Relastin, the hormone that makes your muscles relax.

I'm also THRILLED at the thought of heartburn going away!! And the thought of sleeping as long as the baby will let me without waking up choking on vomit!! I think that problem might be known as GERD.

Jason's excited for me to stop snoring so much and so loudly. I also drool in my sleep. The insides of your nose swell up and then sometimes you have to breathe through your mouth, and you have to sleep on your side when you're pregnant, and you make extra saliva, but I don't remember why, and add it up together and it means lots of drool.

I can't wait to meet this girl! Who is she? What's she going to be like? What's she going to like? What will she look like? What will her voice sound like? We'll find out pretty soon.

Okay, some more books that I've read this year:

#38: Find Me, a mystery by Carol O'Connell. I like the protagonist, Kathy Mallory. She's pretty much a sociopathic cop and badass. In this one, we learn about how she was orphaned and why she has been calling hundreds of phone numbers and freaking out the women who answer by saying, "It's Kathy. I'm lost." She also tracks a serial killer who finds victims along Route 66.

#39: The Man Who Cast Two Shadows by Carol O'Connell. Another Mallory novel. Pretty fun.

#40: World Without End by Ken Follet. This is the sequel to The Pillars of the Earth. Each book is over 1,000 pages long, so I recommend getting them on your Kindle if you have one. If you are pregnant, it is surprisingly difficult to read giant books because it's not comfortable to prop them up on your stomach. This one takes place in the same locations as Pillars, but it's 200 years later. Some of the characters are descendants of those in Pillars. I think this one is just as good. It's a little different in that it doesn't immediately establish the good vs. evil dichotomy. There are people we don't like, but I didn't hate anyone right off the bat like in Pillars. It's an engaging, satisfying read.

I've read the following books on my Kindle, which Jason got me for my birthday this year. I really like it, but I know I will continue to read paper books, too. Huge books would be nicer on the Kindle. Books with pictures are better on paper. Books that you want to flip back and forth through are better on paper. And sometimes price will be the deciding factor. Most books are $9.99 on Kindle, but sometimes you find paper books much cheaper than that. Anyway, here's what I read:

#41: Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. The old fashioned language in this one made me slow down and enjoy it more. It was fun, and pretty exciting.

#42: Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie. This was a cute, fun little mystery. Written in 1967, it has some funny stereotypes about the difference in attitude between Americans and British. Also funny: the American's idioms and catch phrases.

#43: Room by Emma Donoghue. In this novel, a young woman was kidnapped at age 19 and held by a wacko, locked in a room for 7 years. She bore his child, Jack, who tells us this story at age 5. It's really interesting -- she tried to make it seem like life was okay there, and that is was normal for them to be locked in the room. How else could she raise her son? But when he turns 5, she decides it might be time to try to get out. He doesn't even know that Outside is real, so it's quite a big upset in his life. If you can stand to read a whole novel in child-speak, it's definitely worth checking out.

#44: A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick. This novel takes place in the early 1900s in Wisconsin. A country businessman advertises for a new wife, and a woman comes to him, but it's not who he expected. There are a few twists and turns and a surprising amount of sex. It was okay.

#45: Little Bee by Chris Cleave. I don't want to share too much plot, but there is a teenage Nigerian girl and a middle-aged British woman. They meet once in Nigeria and then again in London a couple years later. I will tell you that something horrible happens, but the victim does not feel sorry for herself. She says something like, "celebrate my scars because it means I'm alive and I healed." It's good.

#46: At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson. This one's pretty fun. He goes room by room in an old British house, telling us all sorts of facts about architecture, vermin, industrialization, fashion, surgery, landscaping, and sewage, among other things.

Okay, I'm all caught up on finished books. I'm still in the middle of lots of other books, including several about babies. I may only finish 52 this year, or one per week. It's quite a difference from last year.

2 comments:

  1. haha! the drool!
    I read all those Follett books while I was pregnant, too. weird. I'm waiting on Fall of Giants from the library now. I am on a Robert Crais kick right now, have read 7 of his books in 2 weeks!
    I am so excited to see your daughter. it has been hard deciding what to send you since Trixie was born in June, so lots of summery things that you can't use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. X, what a coincidence on the Folletts! Now I'm tearing through some shorter fiction as fast as I can before she gets here.
    You are reading like crazy! Glad to know it can be done with a baby.
    Thanks for thinking of me and my girl. I can't wait to see what she's like.

    ReplyDelete