Thursday, April 2, 2009

Book 26: Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana

Anne Rice, who wrote all those entertaining vampire novels, has now written two books told from the perspective of Jesus Christ. This is the second, Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana. Mostly, I have to say that these books are rather boring. I mean, there's a lot of exciting stuff going on! But it's told so sedately and calmly that it feels like nothing. Even if Jesus really would have been sedate and calm, I would like to read an exciting version of the story.

Things I liked: Jesus was human, and so were his contemporaries.
* People resented Jesus. They disparagingly called him "Yeshua the Sinless."
* They goaded him, asking why he wasn't living up to the prophecy.
* They tried to peer pressure him into marrying a 15-year old girl when he was 30.

* Two times he was unkind, and the story had more interest:
1. He told his step-brother James, "I am weary of you, my brother" when James was giving him a hard time. That shut him right up. Yeshua the Sinless had usually put up with ANYTHING.
2. He told Satan, "Get behind me, Satan!" when Satan tried to convince him that together they could form an army of Jews to conquer the world. And called him "Lord of the Flies," which Satan hated.

But mostly it was pretty dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment