Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm already falling behind!

This is the 7th week of 2009, so I should be finishing up Book 14, but I'm only halfway through book 12! And it's not a fast read, either. It's about the U.S. Supreme Court, and while it is entertainingly and engagingly written, it's not A Real Page-Turner. I better hurry up and read a lot this weekend!

As you may know, I have a BA in English. I got used to reading Literature during college, and when I read too much easy fiction, I actually feel a little ... guilty. So, as penance for the Deavers, I had to read a non-fiction book. My usual pattern for the past few years would be:

1. Start a Non-Fiction book.
2. Want to be quickly entertained without putting in any work.
3. Set Non-Fiction book aside.
4. Read an easy novel.
5. Maybe eventually read a little more of the Non-Fiction book; maybe just pile it up next to my bed with the others.

This time, I did not allow myself to set the book aside. I'm on a tight schedule! I feel the pressure to complete this reading challenge with a full effort. My 3 readers are counting on me! I should probably be reading RIGHT NOW!

Anyway, I will probably have to read a bunch of Real Page-Turners this year if I'm going to meet my goal. Or else cheat and read children's books or pamphlets. And I will have to put off reading many thick books. I have Roberto Bolano's 2666 sitting on the shelf, waiting for me, but it's over 900 pages. 2010 sounds like a good time to read that one.

2 comments:

  1. I like short books since I have a low attention span. No doubt you've read some of these: http://www.amazon.com/My-Favorite-Short-Books/lm/38TXGRTLUOITJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michi, thanks for the list link! I may indeed need to read some short books to reach the 104 mark.

    I've been thinking about the Rules of this challenge. Like, if I skimmed through a whole cookbook, does that count as having read it? Or would I have to actually read every ingredient in every recipe? For now, I won't count cookbooks, but if I get desperate in December, look out!

    ReplyDelete