Saturday, February 14, 2009

Book 10: The Likeness

The Likeness by Tana French.



I really like Tana French. She has written two murder novels that take place in Ireland. In this one, Cassie Maddox is a former undercover detective, now working in Domestic Violence. While undercover, she had created a character to play, named Lexie Madison. Now, months later, a woman named Lexie Madison has turned up dead, and she looks... exactly like Cassie Maddox! To find the murderer, Cassie goes undercover as Lexie (who the police say has miraculously survived the stabbing), to live with Lexie's roommates and find out who killed her and why. It's just as good as you imagine.

Two things bug the hell out of me:

1. Too many American pop culture references. This is a brand-new book, and she's referencing the American show "The X-Files." It just makes me sad to imagine that people in Ireland are watching our old re-runs, even though I like that show. It distracts me while I'm reading. I also don't enjoy reading the words "Britney and Justin," even if it is to make fun of someone.

2. Way too much reference to her first novel without ever summarizing what happened. Yes, it was the biggest event in Cassie's life, and the biggest disappointment. What was it???? I read it two years ago, and as we can see so far from this experiment in listing all my reading, I read about 100 books a year. I usually can't remember more than vague ideas or unimportant details from most books I read. So, I'm re-reading In the Woods and will report on it soon.

Some great things:

1. Look-alikes. What could be more fun in a mystery?

2. Getting immersed in pretending. Cassie has moments when she wishes she could just remain as Lexie and live out the rest of her life with Lexie's friends.

3. Multiple layers of deceit: Cassie's fooling the roommates AND her fellow officers.

4. In the Woods was told from the perspective of Cassie's partner, Rob. So we heard a lot about her, but not from her. Now we get to be inside her head.

One other thing:

French Tells rather than Showing. It's kind of a way of cheating, but it really does work with these very self-analytical and self-aware characters. The books are long, and we don't have to use our imaginations much because of French's technique. But they're Good.

And one LAST other thing:

Her writing has given the inspiration for yet a FOURTH novel, and I have not yet even finished the FIRST. So many ideas and so little discipline and courage to just sit down and write the things!

No comments:

Post a Comment