Tuesday, April 12, 2011

More books!

19. Bossypants by Tina Fey. SOOO funny! If you like Tina Fey, you will like her book. If you like Liz Lemon (her character on 30 Rock), you will like this book. I kept laughing and Violet would look at me with a warning in her eye -- Are you done, lady? Because I'm serious. She does not like sudden noises or loud noises because she is a baby.

And the books read on Kindle (which need to be segregated because for me, reading on the Kindle is still a different experience from reading a real book. Yes, I think of paper books as REAL and electronic books as e-books, something else entirely):

And I'm sorry to say that I don't remember too many details about some of them because they were read when I had a newborn and my memory from that time is not good. But I'll tell you if I liked them or not, okay?

20. The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsh. Liked it. You would, too. Historical mystery/thriller with murder and children and witchcraft and hangmen!

21. Impact by Douglas Preston. You'd like it if you like other books by Douglas Preston. Adventure, thriller, lots of characters, I bet. To be honest, I don't remember this one at all.
* Okay, I just refreshed my memory with the help of Amazon's description, and it IS a fun book. I like the main character in it, Wyman Ford, rogue ex-CIA agent. So I can recommend it if you like this genre.

22. Poser: My Life in Twenty-three Yoga Poses by Claire Dederer. I liked it but kind of in spite of thinking she is sort of annoying. It was interesting for me because she talks about raising her kids and feeling some pressure to use the Attachment Parenting style (co-sleeping, baby-wearing, etc...) and I'm thinking a lot about parenting styles. She also talks about living in Chautauqua for a year, which is in Boulder, Colorado, and I lived in Boulder for some years and believe Chautauqua to be the epicenter of hippiedom. So it was fun to get a glimpse into the weirdness there. Plus she talks about trying to force her way through yoga rather than relaxing, and I am Type-A in some aspects of my life. And I like yoga! If all that stuff is interesting to you, then I recommend the book, but if not, skip it.

Oh, and I liked reading about her weird childhood near Seattle. Her parents separated when she was little but never got divorced and tried to pretend like that was normal and better than divorcing. But it was just weird for the author and her brother.

--

And now I'm caught up again.

The baby's asleep in the evening! What should I do? What should I do? There are 47 things I'd like to do, but I get a type of paralysis now when I actually have free time! I better get going or I'll waste it.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back, stranger! Can you let me know what Violet's blog is? I'd like to add her to my reading list, if she doesn't mind.

    Recommended read, if you haven't already: Water For Elephants

    ReplyDelete