Saturday, February 13, 2010

Book 5: My Life in France

My Life in France is a memoir by the chef Julia Child (written with her great-nephew). It's a very readable collection of stories from France in the '40s, '50s, and '60s. She also talks about visiting and living in the U.S., Germany, and Norway.

Unsurprisingly, there is a lot of talk about food and about writing her books, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volumes 1 and 2. It is especially interesting to read about her experiences with making the first successful cooking TV show (when she and her husband had hardly ever watched TV).

Julia is so likeable in this book. She is a hard-working perfectionist. She forgives her co-authors even while still irritated by their quirks and failings. She seems like someone who just dives right in and goes for it, whatever IT is. I could use a little more of that right now.

Great light reading, especially if you like food or traveling.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog book reviews very much. I can't help but think "life is what happens while you are making other plans" ... while you wait to be inspired toward a future you are living your life ... reading, sharing & thinking with an occasional foray into craftiness. Is there more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula! I always want more! ;) It makes me keep trying to be better and to do more, which is okay by me. Appreciating this moment is great, too. :)

    ReplyDelete